Historic St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, located at 4124 Loretto Road, is the oldest Catholic Church in Jacksonville. Construction began in 1883 by St. Joseph’s first pastor, Father Henry Clavruel, and was completed by the next pastor, Father James Veale, who added the belfry and dedicated the church in 1912.
The church is a tangible reminder of the presence and contribution of our denomination to the Mandarin and Loretto area for over a century. It served the spiritual needs of the community during the period when the general Mandarin area was an isolated farming community, and economic and educational opportunities were very limited for most residents. It is one of the few remaining nineteenth century structures from this period.
Today, the church performs weekly morning Mass at 8:00 and is a popular site for hosting weddings, baptisms, funerals, and other special services and meetings.
In 2001, The Jacksonville Historic Preservation Commission designated the Old St. Joseph’s Catholic Church as a City of Jacksonville Historic Landmark.